Hello!

Welcome to the place where I will (hopefully) document my home renovation project in Cleveland, Ohio. I purchased this home super cheap under the Fanny Mae program and plan on giving it a new, and very unique, second life.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Installing a convertible dishwasher


Today I got fed up with dealing with hand-washing dishes and finally got around to installing my rolling, free-standing dishwasher. It's a really good little dishwasher and served us well at the slum last place.

The conversion kit is $180 from GE. Screw that. I took my happy ass up to home depot and purchased the following for under $25: 

3/8 in. x 3/8 in. x 60 in. Stainless Steel Universal Dishwasher Supply Line

1-1/2 in. x 8-1/2 in. PVC Hi-Line Dishwasher Wye Tailpiece


3/8 in. x 3/8 in. x 3/8 in. Compression x Compression Brass T-Fitting




There were a couple layers I had to remove to get to an installable dishwasher. I pulled off the fake wood top, the steel shell, the bottom kick-plate, the back and front braces, one of which held two massive concrete blocks (you can see them lower right in this photo, still attached to the machine).


I also had to cut this guy off. This is what used to slip onto the sink faucet to supply water and act as a drain. The fat bottom hose is the drain and smaller top one is the supply. You have to completely remove the top hose from the machine and replace it with the nifty silver braid-clad hose provided in the kit above.
 

Here's the finished under-sink setup. I DID NOT BRAZE THAT COPPER. One day when I get a wild hair up my ass, I'll replace this 2" copper drain with PVC. Maybe. Whatever....

ANYWAYS, you can see the black drain hose in the foreground going to the T from the sink drain. In the back you can see the compression T and dishwasher supply hose. 

I was lucky enough to have a plug directly below this area in the basement so I totally cheesed out on that and just dropped the plug down through the floor.
 

Oh, I also had to remove these sexy wheels. If you keep them, make sure you keep the spring clips that hold them tight to stuff. 
 

WOO! Dishes being effortlessly cleaned!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I've never actually installed a dishwasher before on my own. Doesn't seem like it would be to hard to figure out on my own. Hopefully I don't have to remove all the things you did in order to get my dishwasher to fit in the space I want it to go. http://www.kitchenapplianceinstallation.com.au/dishwasher-installation

    ReplyDelete