Hello!

Welcome to the place where I will (hopefully) document my home renovation project in Cleveland, Ohio. I purchased this home super cheap under the Fanny Mae program and plan on giving it a new, and very unique, second life.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Initial plumbing

The first order of business was to have the water turned on and see how bad the plumbing was going to be. Initial visual inspection suggested a few braze joints that would need to be replaced. There was also an old water softener and humidifier system plumbed into the main water loop that I planned on removing. Stupidly, I waited to do repairs on the water system until after the water had been turned on. Instead I installed the stove:

 

These are gas pipe fittings. The white stuff is a paste used to seal gas connections.


I used soapy water to verify that my work had no leaks. If after coating the connections in the soap solution bubbles had appeared, I would have known there was a leak.

OH LOOK! SUPER ENTHUSIASTIC SELFIE AND CHILD LABOR ENTHUSIASM PHOTOS:
 

 OH...about that turning the water on thing: Did you know that if the valve on the street-side of the home doesn't work, it's not the water company's responsibility to fix? It's yours. I did not know this and it just so happened my street-side valve didn't work. I had to have the water company come back out and shut off the water at the street while I put in a new shutoff on my side of the meter. 

Once that was fixed I was able to replace a few valves and remove a couple useless loops. The humidifier and softener went, as well as a burst pipe that ran under my back deck to a spigot. Yes, 12' of exposed copper water pipe in Northern Ohio is a brilliant idea. I don't care how good you are at draining your system, that shit isn't going to last. Oh, I also tore out and capped the lines for the obligatory creepy Cleveland basement shower.

---------------

Ah, pluming that happens when you let stupid people have tools:

Someone had joined the copper drain pipe from the kitchen to the PVC floor pipe in a manner that pushed up on that black pipe. That black pipe is a gas line. The weight of the heavy black gas pipe caused the PVC pipe to crack. 
 

So I cut that crap out:
 

...and I rebuilt my own using new PVC:
 

 To stop the whole 'pushing up on heavy gas pipe and fucking shit up' thing, I hacked out a few inches of copper pipe. By hand. Overhead. With a hacksaw. 

YES...I have a reciprocating saw. I also have fucking common sense and know not to saw on a poorly supported metal pipe at and awkward, overhead, angle with a power saw. There was really no simple way to use a power saw to cut this thing. I could have purchased a special clamp for my saw, but since I will probably only ever saw a fat copper pipe once in my life, I chose to just man-the-proverbial-fuck-up and hacksaw it out. I like my fingers and face as-is, thanks. 


OH LOOK...they don't touch. Gee, that was hard. (/sarcasm)
Still leak-free, too. Go me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment