Hello!

Welcome to the place where I will (hopefully) document my home renovation project in Cleveland, Ohio. I purchased this home super cheap under the Fanny Mae program and plan on giving it a new, and very unique, second life.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Before the kitchen is reborn

Here's some shots from before I started tearing stuff up. The flooring is a fake wood vinyl tile which is the most...I don't even have a word fitting enough to describe what I feel when someone puts VINYL fake flooring over actual hardwood floors. That's like putting astroturf on...like...Ireland.

 

The walls are all plaster and lath. At first this scared me, but I spent some time learning how to patch them and now I'm quite pleased I have these walls. According to what I have I read, they're far more resilient to time than drywall. 


 There were some soft spots I tore out and replaced/patched here already. Basically if any area looks like it's loose, I'm tearing off the plaster, priming the lath, and putting up new plaster. I know this is excessive but I want this done correctly the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment